Brick Church Museum
The original building construction was initiated in 1833 for
use as a Baptist Church. The walls were 12 inch solid brick
with roof construction of hand hewed beam trusses . The
building later became the Galen Free Library from 1955 through
In 1999 the board of directors proposed to the membership
that purchase of the former Clyde Baptist Church and Galen
Free Library building at 31 North Park Street from the Clyde-Savannah
Public Library be pursued. It was inspired by the vision
of Pat and Wayne Morrison, Sr. The purchase was accomplished
in January 2000 thanks to contributors who stepped forward
to add their resources to those of the Society.
of a financial nature were also happening. Some land west
of the Mill Museum was sold to NYSEG. Senator Michael F.
Nozzolio obtained a member item grant of $15,000 that led
to reconstruction of the roof and east wall support of the
building. In 2001, Robert Mead was asked to chair the committee
to refurbish and add a new elegance to what would become
the Brick Church Museum. A crew of volunteers added to the
generous work of contractors to make the vision a reality.
When it seemed the final "push" to complete the building
could stall, a grant through the office of Assemblyman Robert
Oaks of $7,000 helped to purchase a new heating system.
The electrical work by William Lee and the construction
of the new balconies were also completed. Work on the
new ceiling and the new bathroom was finished. Several generous
bequests were willed to our Society to enable us to go forward
with additional work and by 2006 the reconstruction comes
to a completion with both a new humidification system and
a hot water heater being installed. The brick work has been
pointed and sealed. Window repairs and new storm windows
to protect our stained glass windows are now complete.
offered in the Museum include a large collection of Clyde
Glass, the Morrison Press, a Briggs Bank collection and
many others reflecting local business, churches, modes of
travel, military and civic organizations. We have a large
genealogy collection available for research. Sharon Rice
has served as President of the Board of Directors during
the entire process of purchase and the reconstruction of
the Brick Church Museum and has worked countless hours to
bring us to this stage of completion in our restoration
efforts. As her term ends she can look back with pride at
all the Galen Historical Society has accomplished during
on the above photographs to view the museum restoration
on the above photographs to view the completed museum interior.